While depression can be debilitating for those suffering with it, it can also be difficult to understand and support a loved one who is dealing with depression. You’re on the outside, looking in. You may not understand the changes you are observing in your partner as they struggle with depression. You may feel powerless to help. But there ARE ways you can provide support. Read on, or watch to video to learn six changes you can make.
6 Ways You Can Help Someone Cope With Depression
Depression can manifest itself in simple things like loss of interest in things that you typically enjoy, to trouble finding motivation to accomplish even the most basic of tasks, like hygiene, or getting out of bed…Or even more serious issues. However, with the right approach, you can help your partner get through this tough time. Here are six ways to help a partner deal with depression:
- Listen: One of the most important things you can do is listen to your partner. Let them express their feelings and thoughts without judgment. This can be a comforting and healing experience for them.
- Offer support: Let your partner know that you are there for them and that you care. Offer to go to therapy or doctor appointments with them or to do activities that they enjoy. You can also help with everyday tasks such as cooking or cleaning.
- Be patient: Depression can be a long and difficult journey, so it is important to be patient and understanding. Your partner may not feel better right away, but with time and support, they will get there.
- Learn about depression:
To support a loved one with depression, it helps to understand the condition. Read books or consult a mental health professional.
- Take care of yourself: It can be exhausting to support someone who is dealing with depression, so it is important to take care of yourself as well. Make time for activities that you enjoy, such as exercise, hobbies, or spending time with friends.
- Encourage treatment: Encourage your partner to seek professional help. This can be therapy, medication, or a combination of both. Treatment can be very effective in helping someone with depression.
Depression can be a challenging condition, but with the right support, your partner can get through it. By listening, offering support, being patient, learning about depression, taking care of yourself, and encouraging treatment, you can help your partner overcome their depression and live a happier life.