The fall is here, and with it comes colder mornings, later sunrise, and more cravings for warm breakfasts- the problem? Most breakfasts high in protein are also high in fat and salt, which takes a toll on your heart, and many "healthy" breakfasts are almost all carbohydrates, which really increases blood sugars. But I have a great solution for you- perfect for those chilly autumn mornings, and packed with fiber, healthy proteins and carbohydrates, my healthy orange cranberry cookie-scones offer you a tasty breakfast option that is also nutritionally balanced and very filling! Try it out!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 6 TBSP ground flax seeds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (SUB below)
- 1 1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest (SUB below)
- SUBSTITUTE for 2 above ingredients: 1/3 cup orange juice+ 2 TBSP agave nectar+ 1 tbsp maple extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (I buy Trader Joe's orange infused cranberries so I don't need to zest any oranges)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and mist with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, combine shredded carrots, tahini, maple syrup, unsweetened apple sauce, finely grated orange zest, vanilla extract, and egg until well blended.
- Mix the flour mixture and the carrot mixture together and stir a few times with a spoon to moisten. Fold in the nuts and dried fruit.
- Using a moist 1/2 cup measuring spoon, scoop out the dough and place mounds on your cookie sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. With moistened fingers or the back of the measuring cup, pat the mounds down to make about 4-inch round cookies.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cookie bottoms are golden brown, rotating the pans once if you aren't using a convection oven. Transfer to a cooling rack. The cookies may be served hot, or stored airtight in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 1 month before consuming. Just microwave for 15-30 seconds until it's hot.