When you make food choices on a daily basis, sometimes some basic decisoins about yourt foods are automatic! Is coffee creamer on your regular shopping list? Well, it doesn’t need to be! Here are some great food swaps to save your budget, your waistline, and your health. Happy shopping!
- Replace butter or cream cheese on bread with avocado or nut butters. They provide the same flavorful creaminess, a similar amount (but healthier kind) of fat, and much more fiber, vitamins, and minerals than their animal-based counterparts.
- Replace cream cheese with part-skim ricotta or even cottage cheese. You’ll get more protein, calcium, and less fat!
- Replace full-fat cheese with low fat cheese- I like slices of lite Swiss cheese, lowfat mozzarella, or for a creamier, spreadable cheese, I’ll use goat cheese.
- Stop buying coffee creamer and make your own instead- boil some lowfat milk with your favorite spices, vanilla, and even a little hazelnut extract, if you can find it in the grocery store or online during the holidays). Store your milk in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Replace full fat ground beef chuck (80% lean) with lean ground beef instead. 90-95% is what most Dietitians opt for. You aren’t missing out on flavor, and in most cases, you’ll add back some healthy fats from olive or avocado oil in cooking, anyway.
- Don’t put butter in your oatmeal! Add some dark chocolate baking chunks instead. Sure it has fat, but it also has fiber, iron, vitamins, and antioxidants!
Want some more food swap ideas? Talk to your dietitian about what you eat. Chances are there are some hidden culprits in your regular eating routine that can be made healthier!